- Introduction and Scope
- Maritime Professional Training ("MPT", "we" or "us") is the most complete full service private maritime school in the United States and has been training mariners since 1983.
- MPT obtains information about children in the context of scholarships or rarely, as part of the regular training program offering. In such instances, a parent or legal guardian is required to sign their registration.
- This privacy notice describes how MPT collects, uses, shares, and retains personal information that you provide to us, or that we collect, when you use the MPT website located at http://www.mptusa.com/ and other websites owned or controlled by MPT (the "Sites"), use MPT services and complete related forms, participate in MPT training, or communicate with one of our Student Services Officers ("SSO").
- Please note that if you disagree with anything in this privacy notice, you must not use the Sites, or provide personal information to us in connection with MPT’s services.
- Data Protection Contact Information
1915 South Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
- Data Collection
- MPT collects personal information that students directly and voluntarily provide in order to receive MPT services. Information is collected through the Sites, while using MPT services and completing related forms, participate in trainings or communicate with one of our SSO. Here are the various methods to collect information:
- Information that You Provide to Us:
- Information Request Form: If you require information about our services, you will be required to provide general information for us to contact you. This information includes your name and email. We may also request that you voluntarily provide other optional information, such as phone number, country, company name and opt-in consent to send you information about our services. Information Request Form information is used to communicate with you, answer your questions about our services, to design content and activities that we believe would be of interest to you, and to ensure that MPT will not violate any applicable U.S. sanctions in providing you access to MPT’s services. If you wish to opt-out of receiving these communications from us, please submit an opt-out request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Portal: If you want to register as a student for a class, you will be required to provide general information for us to process your class registration request. This information includes your name, email, phone number, country and valid government issued ID. We may also request that you voluntarily provide other information, such as company name, credit card information, professional or educational history, class prerequisites met (e.g. certificate, license), and other information depending on the specific class that you enroll. Credit card information that you provide through the Student Portal is kept only until billing has been processed. We will also ask for your opt-in consent to send you information about our services. Student Portal information is used to communicate with you, provide you with our services, answer your questions about our services, validate class prerequisites, as well as to design content and activities that we believe would be of interest to you., If you wish to opt-out of receiving these communications from us, please submit an opt-out request to email@example.com.
- You can always access and modify certain information you have provided through the Student Portal through the "My profile" section. If you have not undertaken a class at MPT, you may request that the information you provided through the Student Portal be deleted, by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org . When you request to delete your account, only records that are required by law will be kept in our files.
- Training: MPT hosts trainings and workshops. If you register for an MPT training or workshop, we use the information you provide through the Student Portal, over the phone or in person to our SSO, to process your training check in and attendance. In addition, we will ask you to sign a student enrollment agreement with class rules and to provide an optional emergency contact. Every class day, we will also ask you to register in a sign in sheet, in order to process attendance.
- Exams: When you register to take an MPT exam, we use the information you provide through the Student Portal, over the phone or in person to our SSO. We may also collect and store information you provide to us about special accommodations that you may request. Only authorized employees within MPT have access to your exam scores and personal information pertaining to any special accommodations you may request. MPT will collect your exam results and, in conjunction with maintaining prerequisites/eligibility for other classes, your record of participation in continuing professional education.
- Personal Information Provided by Third Parties:
- We may receive personal information about you from third parties. This may happen if your employer or other person pays and registers you for training or other services, however, we will only share information about you with your employer or other third parties if you consent in advance to our sharing this information.
- MPT may also receive personal information about you (mainly name and email address), when you attend industry events and voluntarily provide this information to third parties to receive communications about industry related events. MPT uses this information to inform you about our services and to design content and activities that we believe would be of interest to you.
- Communications with MPT:
- If you communicate or correspond with us by email, through postal mail, via phone or through other forms of communication, we may collect the information you provide as part of those communications. For example, if you correspond with us through email, we may collect and store the email address you use to send the applicable correspondence, along with its attachments, and use it to respond to your inquiry; to notify you of MPT training or other services; or to keep a record of your complaint, accommodation request, and similar purposes.
- We do not sell personal information to anyone and only share it with third parties who are facilitating the delivery of MPT services.
- Information We Automatically Collect from You:
- We may automatically collect information about you when you use the Sites or our services. For example, if you access the Sites through a computer, we will automatically collect information such as your browser type and version, computer and connection information, IP address and standard web log information. If you access the Sites through a mobile device, we may also be able to identify the location of your mobile device. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer. This information that we automatically collect from you is used to enhance the performance of MPT’s website. MPT also uses your location information (if shared with MPT) to identify the geographic locations from which our content is accessed so that we can better understand what content topics may be most relevant in that region, and to develop resources around those content topics.
- We may automatically collect information from you when you use the Sites using "cookies" and other similar technologies, such as web beacons. Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored within your computer’s Internet browser and that are accessed and recorded by the websites that you visit so that they can recognize the same browser navigating online at a later time. The cookies are not able to execute code or access other information stored on the computer. Web beacons are transparent pixel images that are used in collecting information about website usage, email response and tracking.
- Information that may be collected by cookies when you use the Sites may include, without limitation:
MPT will not associate identifiers from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive identifiers about you, such as race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
Online Advertising and Tracking
- the pages you visit within the Sites;
- the date and time of your visit to the Sites;
- the amount of time you spend using the Sites;
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; and/or
- your computer and connection information such as your browser type and version, operating system and platform.
Use, Sharing and Retention of Personal Information
- MPT and third-party businesses may use the information collected through the Sites using cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies to help manage online advertising programs. This information may enable MPT and our third-party advertising services and other third-party businesses to track the actions of users online over time and across different websites or platforms to measure statistics relating to marketing efforts, and to deliver electronic advertisements that may be more relevant to individual consumers and that will improve the consumer experience. For information about how tracking works for online advertising purposes, and what happens when you elect a do-not-track option, you may visit online resources (e.g. http://www.aboutads.info/choices). In addition, some third-party businesses may provide a mechanism to opt-out of their technology. For more information about the opt-out process, you may visit sites such as the Network Advertising Initiative website, available at: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
- Do Not Track: Your browser may allow you to adjust your browser settings so that "do not track" requests are sent to the websites that you visit. However, MPT does not respond to "Do Not Track" (DNT) signals. To determine whether any of the third-party services it uses honor the "Do Not Track" requests, please read their privacy policies.
- How We Use Your Information.
- MPT uses personal information for the purposes described at the time of collection, to provide training services to you, including enrollment processing, processing of exams or workshops, and to otherwise process your requests or address your inquiries, and to report to others about whether you are trained or not. MPT also uses your information, as permitted by law, to provide you with information about MPT, our products and services or other products and services in which we believe you may be interested. If you wish to opt-out of receiving these communications from us, please submit an opt-out request to email@example.com. We may also use your personal information to tailor your experience at our Sites, to compile and display content and information that we think you might be interested in, and to provide you with content according to these preferences. MPT may also use this information to help us understand our students’ needs and interests, to better tailor our products and services to meet your needs.
- How We Share Your Information with Third Parties.
- Except as set forth in this Privacy Notice or when specifically agreed to by you, we will not disclose personal information we gather from you to third parties unless MPT is required to share this information to complete your request ,for legitimate business purposes or required by law. MPT shares personal information in the following circumstances:
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your information with vendors or third parties who deliver or provide goods and services or otherwise act on behalf of or at the direction of MPT. These third parties may include, for example, our third-party technology providers. These third-party service providers will only have access to the information needed to perform these limited functions on our behalf.
- Potential Employers or Recruiters. If you request career counseling, the information you include in your profile will be shared with potential employers or recruiters and will be subject to their privacy policies. MPT will only share information about you with potential employers or recruiters if you consent in advance to our sharing of this information.
- Response to Subpoenas, Court Orders, Government Requests or to Protect Rights and to Comply with Our Policies. To the extent permitted by law, we will disclose your information to government authorities or third parties if: (a) required to do so by law or regulation, or in response to a subpoena or court order or any other enforceable governmental request or order; (b) we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, to protect the property or other rights of us or other users, third parties or the public at large; or (c) we believe that you have abused the Sites by using them to attack other systems or to gain unauthorized access to any other system, to engage in spamming or otherwise to violate applicable laws. You should be aware that, following disclosure to any third party, your information may be accessible by others to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
- Aggregate Information. We may share your information with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties on an anonymous, aggregate basis. While this information will not identify you personally, in some instances these third parties may be able to combine this aggregate information with other data they have about you, or that they receive from third parties, in a manner that allows them to identify you personally.
- Where we do share your personal data with third parties, MPT performs due diligence to deal with third parties that we believe use appropriate safeguards to protect your personal data.
- Information for Individuals Located in the European Union.
- Legal Basis for The Processing of Personal Information from EEA Residents
- If you reside within the European Economic Area (EEA), our processing of your personal information will be legitimized as follows:
- Whenever we require your consent for the processing of your personal information such processing will be justified pursuant to Article 6(1) lit. (a) of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR"). This article in the GDPR describes when processing can be done lawfully.
- If the processing of your personal data is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and MPT or for taking any pre-contractual steps upon your request, such processing will be based on GDPR Article 6(1) lit. (b)."). If this data is not processed, MPT will not be able to execute the contract with you.
- Where the processing is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, we will process your information on basis of GDPR Article 6(1) lit. (c), for example complying in the fields of employment law.
- And where the processing is necessary for the purposes of MPT’s legitimate interests, such processing will be made in accordance with GDPR Article 6(1) lit. (f), for example to detect fraud.
- Transferring Personal Data from the EU to the US:
- MPT has its headquarters in the United States. Information we collect from you will be processed in the United States. The United States has not sought nor received a finding of "adequacy" from the European Union under Article 45 of the GDPR. MPT relies on derogations for specific situations as set forth in Article 49 of the GDPR. In particular, MPT collects and transfers to the U.S. personal data only: with your consent; to perform a contract with you; or to fulfill a compelling legitimate interest of MPT in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms. MPT endeavors to apply suitable safeguards to protect the privacy and security of your personal data and to use it only consistent with your relationship with MPT and the practices described in this Privacy Notice. MPT also enters into data processing agreements and model clauses with its vendors whenever feasible and appropriate.
- European Union Data Subject Rights
- The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation and other countries’ privacy laws provide certain rights for data subjects (these are persons that can be identified).
- This Privacy Notice is intended to provide you with information about what personal data MPT collects about you and how it is used.
- If you wish to confirm that MPT is processing your personal data, or to have access to the personal data MPT may have about you, or have other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Security of Your Information
- MPT uses reasonable physical, technical and administrative measures to safeguard personal information you provide through the Sites or in connection with MPT’s products and services. Please be aware that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, MPT cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit on or through the Sites and you do so at your own risk.
- Data Storage and Retention
- Your personal data is stored by MPT on its servers, and on the servers of the database management services MPT engages, located in the United States. MPT retains data for the duration of the customer’s or member’s business relationship with MPT and otherwise as required under applicable law or to comply with regulatory obligations. Personal data will be kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which your personal data are processed.
- For more information on where and how long your personal data is stored, and for more information on your rights of erasure and portability, please contact our data privacy resource at email@example.com.
- MPT is a professional training organization and the Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13. MPT does not knowingly collect personally identifiable data from persons under the age of 13 of COPPA (The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). If you are a parent of a child under 13, and you believe that your child has provided us with information about him or herself, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Changes and updates this Privacy Notice.
- As our organization, student programs and benefits change from time to time, this Privacy Notice is expected to change as well. We reserve the right to amend the Privacy Notice at any time, for any reason, without notice to you, other than the posting of the amended Privacy Notice at these Sites. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and terms and conditions and may e-mail registered students of material changes thereto, but you should check our Sites frequently to see the current Privacy Notice that is in effect and any changes that may have been made to it.
- Questions, Concerns or Complaints
- If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact MPT’s data protection resource at: email@example.com.